Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Salad Dressing

So if you don't know me and my family, one thing I think everybody will tell you is that they love our salads! We are known to have a salad with EVERY meal and sometimes it IS the meal!
When Jerry and I first started dating in college, one night he told me that he would take care of dinner-for me not to worry about it,study and he would bring dinner over.  Of course, I was thinking he would pick up something from a Restaurant...well....was I in for a suprise and he got a quick lesson as to what was "dinner" approved in my little world...lol! (KEEP in mind that I was only 19 and a sophmore in college and still lived in a very naive, somewhat innocent bubble of a world)
He brought over BAGGED salad...and a BOTTLED dressing....umm what was that? (I know many people use them and they're some good ones, so dont take this offensively) but I had NEVER had bottled dressing in my life and just thought they were gross and didn't really think people actually used them. ALONG with the BAGGED SALAD (gross, is that salad even washed, and does it even count as lettuce if its practically white/see through...not even green?) he brought over a Stouffer's Frozen Swedsih Meatballs microwavable meal (gag reflux)...ummm I HAD only had a frozen microwavable meal once in my life (my sisters and I begged my mom to let us try one when we were little bc all our friends got to have them and they looked so good while we had to eat all her homeade food, needless to say 2 bites in and we said, you're right mom this is gross and never had one again!)
So HE proceeds to microwave this stuff/food and plate it for me...
Trying not to be too rude bc we did just start dating and I did REALLy like him....I told him as politely as I could that I was not going to eat that but thanks. So he ATE both of them, which thoroughly grossed me out and then he went and got me a sandwich from Food for Thought (love that place!)
Jerry learned very quickly that I had FOOD standards and my family took our food seriously but he thanks his lucky stars everday because he says I have introduced him to so much good food that he would have missed out on....
SO back to our salads....
Really, I could give you LOTS of different salad recipes..there is endless possibilities but what makes our salads so good is the way we season or dress our salads and really its quite simple.
It is as basic as olive oil, lemon juice and then you can add different vinegars or mustards to change the flavor. I suggest just trying different combinations and see what you like.
I also put a spoonful of greek yogurt if I want to make it creamy.
Avocado also makes it creamy too!
I used to love nuts in my salads but since Jacq has a nut allergy, we are a nut free house.
We had leftover chicken fajitta meat from our cinco de mayo party sunday so tonight we made this big salad for dinner-
This was romaine lettuce, sweet onion, orange bellpepper, heirloom tomatoes (they are insanely good right now), fresh basil (still haven't killed my plant yet!), chicken fajita meat, avocado and manchego cheese.
I seasoned it with Tony's, olive oil, and the juice of one fresh lemon.
No vinegar tonight, I wanted it to be just light and fresh!
 

3 comments:

  1. Love this! Ditto to always having home made salad dressing...and ditto to always begging for frozen foods as a child...I CLEARLY remember when my Mom FINALLY allowed me to have a hot pocket! :) THANKS for posting...and reminding everyone that it is EASY and simple and DELICIOUS to make their own dressing. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried your dressing tonight on our salad! I have been feeling a little under the weather all day so I wasn't looking forward to cooking a big meal, this was so easy to throw together! I didn't have lemons so I used limes as an alternate and it was so yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete