Thursday, May 9, 2013

Family Favorite-Basil Chicken

This is a VERY easy and VERY fast healthy supper idea. It was one of those recipes I can of just made up one day and actually came out good and has become a regular in our household. It's fast, easy and healthy and EVERYBODY loves it!
 
It tastes like thai style basil chicken, so that is what I call it.
 
BASIL CHICKEN
First I slice some chicken breasts, put a little bit of olive oil in the pot on medium heat and start cooking the chicken.
 Then I add lemon juice (3 times around the pot), soy sauce (twice around the pot) and Bragg's liquid amino acids (3 times around the pot). ***I am really sorry, I do not cook by measuring...so I thought I would conciously try and count how much I put in by pouring around the pot, maybe you can gauge how much to put that way??****  For me though, the best way to cook is not be measuring bc its a lot faster and easier not too, if you cook regularly you will see you really dont need to measure! You will get used to how much of things you need to use!

If you haven't used this, it is FANTASTIC and a healthy soy sauce alternative. Although I think it tastse different that soy sauce, so I use both but def more of the Bragg's. It adds another flavor to the dish.
Then season with salt, garlic powder, lemon pepper, red pepper and basil.
Stir it up and cover it and let the chicken cook.
Keep it covered so all the liquid doesn't cook out.

Then after the chicken is cooked, probably about 15 mins, I add chopped onions and green beans
(bellpeppers and broccoli go good in it too)
Reason-add little bit more bragg's and seasonings since you are adding the vegetables, stir it up and cover and let it cook the vegetables.
Then it is pretty much done depending on how much  you want to cook your vegetables. If you want the green beans crunchy then it will only need another 10-15 mins. Right now I cook down my green beans a little bit more than I would prefer just so that they are tender where I can cut them and the girls can eat them.

Then at the very end, add fresh basil. Honestly, the fresh basil at the end MAKES it!
For the girls, I serve over rice and for Jerry and I we just eat the chicken and green beans with a side salad.
If you were to add hot peppers like a siracha pepper it would def taste even more like thai style basil chicken. I haven't tried it just because it would be too hot for the girls. My girls LOVE their spice but I think that would be too much for them!

2 comments:

  1. I made this dish and it was delicious. Since Emma does not like green beans, I took your advice and used brocolli, red peppers, snow peas and also carrot slivers. I served it all over rice. She loved it and so did my husband, Chris. I am looking forward to trying another recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! This makes me so happy! The reason I am doing the blog!!!

    ReplyDelete