Monday, May 13, 2013

Mama's Favorite

We all have our favorite dishes that our momma cooked. I remember whenever momma picked us up from school and we got home, we would always go to the stove to see what she was cooking for supper. Sometimes, she would say we're having Christina's favorite tonight and it would be this dish-

 
Beef and Lima Bean Stew
I know, what child loves lima beans? Me?
 
So to start, I sauteed onion, carrots and bellpeppers in olive oil.
 
Then I sliced up a flank steak I had in the freezer. You would preferrably use lean stew meat but flank steak is what I had in the freezer and needed to use. Remember the best advice...use what you got!
Season with salt, garlic powder, lemon pepper, red pepper, oregano and basil.
Stir and make sure the meat has browned all the way through.
Then I added some yellow and red cherry tomatoes (optional, I had them and they needed to be used)
Let those cook and smash with the back of the cooking spoon.
Then I added the jar of this jar of tomatoes.

Season again.
Let the sauce cook for a while on medium heat and let the sauce come together, about 30 mins.
Then add lima beans. (If you use dry beans, you will need to soak them over night in baking soda and water)
I used 3/4 of this back of frozen lima beans.

 
Then let that cook for a good hour.

Taste and reseason if you need.
Then add fresh oregano and basil if you have it.
Serve over rice.
 
My girls love this just like I do. Jerry is a fan too!


2 comments:

  1. Liam LOVES limas, or butter peas, and so do I. You aren't the only one! I'll definitely have to make this. I've loved reading about your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! i hope ya'll enjoy it! don't be afraid to really season it!

    ReplyDelete