Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Changing it Up

Do you cook the samethings over and over? Do you get stuck in cooking ruts? I sure do! Maybe becuase I sometimes just want to cook something easy, something that I know the girls will eat good or just plain laziness or can't think of something new? I feel like this happens to me all the time. Lately, its been stir fry rut. Been cooking a lot of my basil chicken type suppers. The girls love it, its fast and easy. Have I mentioned Jacquelyn is obsessed with green beans lately but for some reason she calls them green carrots? Dont know why....my logic is that carrots were her favorite but now green beans our....so she has renamed them green carrots...who knows...the mind of a 2 year old!
 
So tonight it was time to cook something different! Something new...
For the girls plates....
Baked lemon chicken, potato sacks and succatash
 
For us, baked lemon chicken, salad, and zucchini with red onions

 
My mom used to make us these and we always thought they were fun.
Potato sacks.
Just chop up a potato with onion and bellpeppers(i was out so didnt put them)
Put them in little foil pouches, season with a little olive oil, lemon juice and tony's
Bake at 350 until potatoes are soft, about 45 mins



These are also fun to do with having a BBQ, you can throw them on the grill, then everybody just grabs their own little sack!
 
Succatash
Confession, this is one of my favorite side dishes, probably because my love of lima beans
Seriously underrated side dish!
 
Sautee onion in a little olive oil, add frozen corn and lima beans

Toss and season with salt, pepper and little red pepper

Add milk until it covers the vegetables like this


Bring up to boil, then turn down to medium, cover with crack and let milk cook out slowly
Finished product.
 
Hopefully this is some inspiration to break up the rut and try something new!
 
In case you were wondering the baked lemon chicken was super simple
4 boneless chicken breasts
olive oil
lemon juice
worteshire
salt
lemon pepper
garlic powder
oregano
basil
Bake 350 for about 1 1/2
It will fall apart
This is probably the girls favorite
 

No comments:

Post a Comment