Monday, October 17, 2016

Sausage & Peppers: 3 different ways

So this is a great, easy and simply delicious dish that you can serve three different ways.
Tradtionally, I would make this as a heavy appetizer and serve it over french bread.
However today, we had it for dinner. I ate it low carb version and family ate it over pasta.

Sausage and Peppers
I started with 2 packages of the HEB housemade mild italian sausage (that was 6 links).
I cut each link into 4 small pieces so that it will cook quickly and so i can see that the sausage cooks all the way through.

I brown my sausage first in a little olive oil, on medium heat.
I cover the pot, stir occasionally and moving the sausage around so that it cooks through.



While my sausage cooks, i get my veggies ready to go. Your veggies is what is going to make your super yummy sauce.
I use 1 big sweet onions, 3 different colors of bellpepers and i like to use a few banana peppers (they are the long green peppers) and 4 large tomatoes.



Once my sausage is fully cooked, I add all my chopped veggies to the pot.
I squeeze the juice of one lemon, pour twice around the pot with basalmic vinegar and season with salt, lemon pepper, garlic powder, red pepper and fresh basil.
Stir well and cover, letting the vegetables cook down into a sauce.
Warning- it will smell amazing and your husband will constantly ask you is it ready yet?haha!



Once it has cooked down, you are done.
Now, my mom has always served this over toasted french bread as an appetizer and honestly its probably the best like this.
You slice up some french bread, butter it and toast it in the oven, then pour the sausage and peppers over it. YUM!!!

Tonight, we ate it as our main course so i served it this way:

Low carb version for me:

I sliced up big slices of eggplant, rubbed with olive oil and roasted in oven at 375 until it was golden brown and then served the sausage and peppers over it.
DELISH! almost didnt miss the french bread.....almost ;)



My husband and kids, ate it over egg noodles as a sausage and pepper pasta.




Fast, easy, super yummy and three ways to enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment