Thursday, October 13, 2016

Lima Bean Stew

This was one of my favorite dishes growing up and now one of my daughters favorites!
You can use beef or veal, tonight I used veal.

I started by browning a little over 2lbs of veal in a little olive oil. 
 
Seasoned the meat with salt, garlic powder, red pepper.
Cover and let it brown.
While it's cooking, I chopped my vegetables
Use the trinity.
Chopped onion, celery and bellpepper 
(I was out of celery and just used a little extra bellpepper)
 
Once my meat was browned I added my vegetables
You don't have to, but I also added two large tomatoes because I had a lot of homegrown tomatoes that need to be used!
 
 
Then I covered and let my vegetables cook until they were softened.
Stir occasionally and pressing tomatoes, so they turn into a sauce. 
Once your vegetables have cooked down, I add my Lima beans.
You can use fresh Lima beans, frozen or dried. If dried remember you need to soak them over night.
I had fresh frozen Lima beans.
 
I also added a bunch of chopped fresh basil. 
Seasoned with salt, garlic, red pepper and oregano.
I then added one can of crushed tomatoes. 
 
If you like things extra spicy, you could add a can of rotel at this point.
 
Then cover and just let it cook down for a good 1 1/2 hrs.
Serve over rice, mashed potatoes or eat it by itself!
The meat will be so tender it falls apart!
Yummy comfort meal!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment