Sunday, November 6, 2016

Shaha Mischi, Say What?

Shaha Mischi
pronounced, sha-ha-misch-ee ( if that even makes sense?)
Half of the fun of making this dish is saying the name....haha!
This is a traditional lebanese dish that I grew up eating and was one of my absolute favorites, probably because it features my favorite vegetable-Eggplant!  This was a big hit in my family on this rainy night and I am not even sure my girls realized they were eating eggplant, until I pointed it out and my oldest said she thought it was just really big zucchini slices! Try this recipe and hopefully your family will enjoy it as much as mine!

To start, you first have to make Humpsa.  Humpsa is a Lebanese meat dressing that we use in lots of different recipes.

I started by melting a spoonful of ghee, adding a chopped sweet onion, let it soften, then added 2lbs. of grass fed ground beef.  Cooked it until it was fully cooked. Seasoned it with salt, garlic powder, lemon pepper, red pepper and a generous amount of cinnamon. Finish it with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and toasted pine nuts. (we leave out the pine nuts because of my daughters allergy)
At this point, your humpsa is done.
 
You can use humpsa to make meat pies, my girls love it cooked on an open face biscuit, when they were little i would mix it with boiled pasta or any grain and some vegetables.

To make the shaha mischi, I lined a casserole dish with thick eggplant slices. 
 
Poured the humpsa on top
 
 topped it tomato sauce (in a bowl, i emptied 2 cans of an organic tomato sauce, seasoned it with fresh basil, salt, garlic powder and red pepper)
 
Then poured the tomato sauce over the humpsa
 


 I also added a little fresh basil on top of the dish. Covered dish with foil and baked at 350 for 45mins.
 
Served over syrian rice.
 

We had a nice little family discussion about mommys Lebanese heritage, in which my girls asked "what does that mean?" So it was a yummy meal, shared over some fun family talks learning about their family history! 

No comments:

Post a Comment