Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sunday Supper: Chicken Stew

Slight crispness in the air, something warm and hearty on the stove.... It's fall! 
Waking up to a chilly rainy day put me in the mood to make a pot of chicken stew for supper.
Start by browning your chicken( turkey also works well) 
I used chicken thighs 
I just cut them in chunks and browned them in a little olive oil and seasoned with salt, garlic powder and red pepper.
Once it was browned I took the chicken out and put it to the side for later
Then I added a stick of butter to the drippings in the pan and let it melt
Then I added flour until it made a thick paste to make my roux 
Cook on medium heat and continually stir your roux


Cook until a golden brown. You can cook it and brown it more if you like. Since I'm doing a stew I did a golden brown. This takes a while and you need to stir it constantly so have patience! Gumbo you continue to cook it until it is dark dark brown.
Then I added chopped onions, celery and carrots
Then I added 2 boxes of chicken stock and added the chicken back.
Stirred really well esp bottom of the pot
Seasoned with salt, red pepper, garlic powder and brought up to a boil, then turned it down to medium low and let simmer for 2 hrs.
At the end I added half a bag of frozen peas. 
I served it over rice of course!
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment