Monday, July 8, 2013

Spanish Rice

Yesterday we went to a friends place for a grill out and I was in charge of bringing the sides to fajitas. So I brought Spanish rice and refried beans.
I make my refried beans pretty easily. 2 can of low sodium pinto beans, season with salt, red pepper and cinnamon and cook for about 20 mins, drain about 80% of liquid, take my hand held emolisifier and purée the beans! 
I wanted to make a Spanish rice but have never made it, so of course I went to Pinterest and read a couple different recipes then made my own version.
I first blended 1large can of whole tomatoes with 1/2 onion. Set aside.
Sautéed the other half of the onion in olive oil, added 2cups rice.
Added 1/2 can of rotel and stirred.
Added 2cups of tomatoe/onion purée and 2 cups of chicken broth.
Added 1/2 cup of frozen corn and frozen peas. 
Seasoned with salt, red pepper, garlic powder, paprika and a lil chilli powder.
Stirred and covered half way and let cook down, stirring occasionally so it didn't stick.

I think it came out pretty good.
Everyone seemed to enjoy it and the girls def liked it!


Sorry for the lack of posts lately...been working real estate plus being a mommy and keeping up with workouts=not a free minute!
I've been cooking mostly quick stir fries like the lemon basil chicken!
Tonight I'm making Beccas Lebanese chicken thighs!

No comments:

Post a Comment