Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Buffalo, the new read meat

I've really grown to like bison or buffalo meat. Costco has a ground organic bison meat that I stock our freezer with. The girls and everybody loves it! 
It's def noticeably leaner than regular ground meat- not as greasy but doesn't have any sort of gamey taste. 
I've used it a lot when I'd usually use lean ground beef or turkey.
A couple of family favorites is buffalo spaghetti casserole (I'll blog it next time I make it) and buffalo chilli.

Buffalo chilli

Start by sauteeing onion, celery and bell pepper (if I had a jalapeƱo I would of put that too)
Then add your ground buffalo ( here I have 2lbs)
Brown it so it's cooked through
Season with salt, garlic powder, lemon pepper, red pepper and chilli powder.
Once that is cooked through add your beans 
I put one can of each- black, red and pinto.
Add large 20oz can of chopped tomatoes (I prefer Italian style)
Season again, stir really well and just let it simmer on low for a good two hours.

Tonight I served mine on top of half a sweet potato and topped with avocado!
Can not tell you how good this was and talk about getting your superfoods in!

No comments:

Post a Comment